Advancing race equality in higher education
*Fully booked* Follow the event on Twitter: #raceinHE
Racial inequalities within the higher education sector have been well documented and pose a challenge for all higher education institutions. The purpose of this event is to take stock of what we know, and more importantly how we can tackle the issues that exist together to create a more inclusive and diverse sector.
This conference aims to bring together the learning from previous work on racial inequalities within higher education and move towards looking at specific initiatives that institutions may wish to implement.
The event will focus on the importance of senior leadership in driving forward this work, and how senior leaders can support their equality and diversity officers in implementing change.
The aim of the event is for every delegate to leave with (at least) one thing they want to change or implement or influence in their own institutions. The event will provide a safe forum in which to discuss issues of race discrimination and develop rational plans to tackle them.
The event will include the following sessions:
- Racism in the academy - Professor Andrew Pilkington, University of Northampton
- The current scene for BME staff and students - ECU and NUS
- The importance of race equality on decision-making - Alison Johns, HEFCE
- The vice-chancellor's role in race equality - Professor Mark Cleary, Vice-chancellor, University of Bradford
- Unconscious bias in higher education - Tinu Cornish and Peter Jones
- Engaging with BME communities - a discussion panel chaired by Dr Debbie Weekes-Bernard, Runnymede Trust
- Workshops sessions by UCU and Unison, and another by NUS on solutions to the issues their BME members face
Download the full agenda
Who should attend?
The event is aimed at senior managers within higher education and anyone with an interest in the area.
Register your place
*This event is now fully booked*
This event is free to attend, although registration is necessary. If you register for a place but fail to attend there will be a £50 non-attendance fee.
Complete the booking form and return it to:
Post: Unit Support Officer
ECU, Queen's House, 55-56 Lincoln's Inn Fields
London, WC2A 3LJ
Booking closes on Monday 21 May.
- Event category
25 May 2012
from 10:00 am to 04:30 pm
- Woburn House Conference Centre, London
- Contact Name
- Victoria Walter
- Contact Email
- Contact Phone
- 020 7438 1017
The event is aimed at senior managers within higher eduction, and anyone with an interest in the area.
- Add event to calendar