Advancing race equality in higher education event materials
Download presentations from the 25 May 2012 event
Racial inequalities within the higher education sector have been well documented and pose a challenge for all higher education institutions.
This event aimed to take stock of what we know, and how we can tackle the issues to create a more inclusive and diverse sector. The event focused on the importance of senior leadership in driving forward work on racial inequalities.
You can download presentations from the event below.
- The sheer weight of whiteness: race and higher education - presented by Professor Andrew Pilkington
- The current scene for BME staff in HE - presented by Gary Loke, ECU Head of Policy
- Black students: key issues - presentation by Kanja Sesay, NUS Black students' officer
- The importance of race equality in policy making - presentation by Amy Norton, HEFCE
- Acknowledging and acting on race inequalities - presentation by Professor Mark Cleary, Vice-chancellor, University of Bradford
- Hard science and hard lessons: unconscious bias and the promotion of race equality - presentation by Tinu Cornish, Coach for Change and Dr Pete Jones, Shire Professional Chartered Psychologists
- Unconscious bias factsheet - to accompany the unconscious bias presentation
- A compilation of the event's Twitter feed is also available: Advancing race equality event Twitter discussion.