Call for examples: supporting religion and belief
Practice and approaches to equality, diversity and inclusion for religion and belief
ECU is calling for examples from the sector of equality and diversity work around the protected characteristic of religion and belief relating to staff and students.
We are seeking to update our guidance for institutions in 2017, and we want to ensure that we understand the sector’s challenges, address your priorities, and share your successes.
We are keen to receive information from all four nations of the UK, and across the full range of university services and functions and FE colleges in Scotland: please share with any interested colleagues.
What sort of examples can be submitted?
We want to get a clear picture of areas of celebration and challenge relating to equality, diversity and inclusion in this area. We welcome information about a range of work, large or small. We are particularly keen to hear about:
- inclusive approaches to student academic curricula, including fitness to practise and professional accreditation, and support for distance learners
- chaplaincy and faith advisers: particularly inter-faith work, and engagement with those of no belief
- staff or student recruitment, marketing and outreach relating to religion and belief
- staff or student faith networks
- online initiatives, support or campaigns
- policy and strategy relating to religion and belief
- changes to monitoring questions or processes
Is this about best practice?
We welcome case studies which demonstrate innovative approaches or solutions, clear impact, and particularly those that could be transferable to other institutions in the sector. However we are also keen to hear about tricky situations and issues, which can be anonymised if you prefer such as instances of balancing needs of different groups, or (where appropriate) approaches to staff or student complaints and appeals relating to religion and belief.
We will be interested in why certain incidents proved challenging, how they were approached, and whether there are any learning points for the sector.
Submitting your evidence
Wherever possible we would be grateful if evidence could be submitted by completing our submission form which is available as a Word doc and a PDF and returning it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Examples of supporting religion and belief submission form (Word)
- Examples of supporting religion and belief submission form (PDF)
We have now extended the original deadline. The new provisional deadline is Tuesday 18 April at 17:00.
Please contact ECU’s Senior Policy Adviser Jess Moody via email@example.com or on 020 3870 6013. Jess is happy to be contacted informally with any queries in the first instance.