International students’ services: supporting gay students
Leaflet with information and advice for staff supporting international students
- Using Home Office calculations, around 22,000 international students studying in the UK are likely to be lesbian, gay or bisexual.
- 76 countries around the word still prosecute people because they are lesbian, gay or bisexual, including five countries which still have the death penalty for same-sex activity.
Staff working with international students in a recruitment, support or academic context need to be aware of, and understand, the rights of lesbian, gay and bisexual people. With this knowledge, they can support all international students and tackle homophobia if it occurs.
Areas covered include:
- Why staff supporting international students need to be aware of the issues
- What is homophobia
- How to make your service more inclusive
- Frequently asked questions