See our guidance and resources section: Supporting trans staff and studentsFind out more >
Trans staff and students in HE and colleges: improving experiences
A fully-updated revision to ECU's 2010 guidance.
ECU receives frequent queries from institutions and colleges who are supporting trans staff and students, and this guidance aims to answer the most common questions, outlines how you can develop an inclusive culture and non-discriminatory policies, and offers tools and templates to support your work.
Fully updated and revised from our 2010 guidance, the 2016 version is aimed at staff in higher education institutions across the UK and colleges in Scotland, who manage staff or support or teach students. It will also be useful for staff working in students’ unions or associations.
Areas covered by the guidance:
- Legislation: and overview of the relevant law
- Policies: trans equality and trans inclusive policies
- Culture: building a trans-inclusive environment
- Supporting individuals: responsibilities when supporting trans applicants, staff, students and former students
- Data: understanding your trans population
Download the guidance
- Trans staff and students in HE and colleges: improving experiences (PDF)
- Trans staff and students in HE and colleges: improving experiences (Word)
There are also a number of resources and tools that you can adapt:
- Example: trans equality policy
- Checklist: supporting a trans staff member or student
- Templates: notifying your college or university
Note: If you downloaded a copy of this publication before 16.11.2016, please note that on p67, paragraph 3, it should read: Monitoring data should be stored confidentially.
This error has been amended in the version available to download above.