Equalitylink February 2017
Welcome February 2017
Equalitylink is Equality Challenge Unit’s monthly round-up of equality and diversity news, resources and a summary of ECU’s work with the sector.
ECU in the news
- Will the Race Equality Charter make a difference to the white academy?
- Gender equality through the microscope: encouraging more women in labs
News from ECU
- Joint statement on the review of higher education sector agencies
- New Deputy CEO/Head of Policy and External Relations
Talented women for a successful Wales
A report from the Welsh government focused on the education, recruitment, retention and promotion of women in STEM related study and careers.
International Women’s Day 2017
International Women’s Day 2017 is on Wednesday 8 March. How are you celebrating? Tweet us and let us know @EqualityinHE.
Project tender from the University of Gloucestershire
The university is seeking an individual or an organisation to work on behalf of the university’s outreach and widening participation team.
For further details visit the university’s website.
TEF Year Two: the equality challenge
Read our new blog post and briefing note from Senior Policy Adviser Jessica Moody.
#LGBTHM17 and new network of networks
To celebrate LGBT history month we have published a series of four blog posts throughout February.
The fourth post in the series is written by colleagues from the University of Wolverhampton who are launching an LGBT network of networks.
Athena SWAN: intention to submit in April 2017
The deadline for sending intentions to submit for the next round is 17:00 on Tuesday 28 February 2017.
The results of the Athena Survey of Science, Engineering and Technology (ASSET) 2016 survey will be published at the end of March 2017.
This is the first time that the survey has been managed by ECU and it is the first time that an intersectional approach has been adopted.
Contact researcher Amanda Aldercotte with any questions or for further information.
Become an Athena SWAN Charter panellist
Our Athena SWAN team will be emailing everyone who has registered their interest to volunteer as a panellist at the beginning of March.
To register your interest complete a short online booking form by Tuesday 28 February 2017.
Whilst the Athena SWAN team encourage everyone to register their interest they are particularly looking for people from arts, humanities, social sciences, business and law subjects and equality and diversity practitioners.
ECU at UCAS’ Admissions Conference
On Monday 10 April 2017 ECU and Supporting Professionalism in Admissions will be running a breakout session at this year’s UCAS Admissions Conference.
The session will focus on positive action vs positive discrimination in student admissions. For further information visit the
UCAS conference website.
New publications and resources
- Working with TEF Year Two: equality and diversity considerations for higher education institutions
- Revised public sector equality duty: specific duties for Scotland briefing and 2017 reporting requirements checklist
Delivering the Prevent duty in a proportionate and fair way
New Prevent duty guidance from the Equality and Human Rights Commission in partnership with ECU and Universities UK.
The guide is for higher education providers in England.
- Our next lunchtime webinar: learning and unlearning whiteness is on Friday 3 March 2017 12:00 – 13:00.
- NUS Scotland refugee student summit on Thursday 9 March 2017.
- Loughborough University’s annual Claudia Parsons Memorial Lecture is on Monday 13 March 2017. This year it will be given by Dr Emily Grossman about her life as a scientist, actress and science broadcaster.
- UCU have organised an LGBT+ Research Conference 2017. The conference is being held on Friday 9 June 2017 at the University of Manchester. Register to attend now.
If you would like to be featured in the next issue of Equalitylink, please email details to Lauren Sandhu, Communications Officer.