BME staff network: institution 1
- The [institution] black and minority ethnic staff network.
- Develop networking opportunities for BME staff within the [institution].
- Create a working and learning environment in which all students and staff feel comfortable, respected and valued.
- Have a formal place at the equality and diversity committee where the chair or their representatives can feedback on issues arising in the group.
- Communicate though the equality and diversity committee and other official channels, concerns and requests for information etc to resolve concerns and improve the work environment.
- Develop and encourage external speakers and contacts to bring a wider perspective to the work.
- Disseminate best practice and ideas to network members and beyond as appropriate.
- Work with the equality and diversity unit on events of celebration and/or information sharing.
- Support each other in sharing and discussing issues in a separately convened and run support group.
- To provide a separate support group where members may share experiences. This will be separate from work with the equality and diversity unit.
- A chair and assistant chair will be elected every two years at the first meeting of the new academic year.
- Close work in liaison with the equality and diversity unit.
- Chair or nominee to represent the BMESG.
- To be supported by the equality and diversity unit with access to equality and diversity unit funding as available, for discussed and agreed events.
- Together with other chairs of staff networks to meet with the vice-chancellor twice a year.
- To request and use monitoring and other institutional data and information to inform actions.
- Review and comment on relevant policies and act as a forum for consultation for new developments.
- To build network communication with the university structures to assist consultation and raising of issues.
- To set up a separate support group which will be run by the members, who will select a separate chair/convenor.
- With the assistant chair, call and chair at least two meetings a year with the support of the EDU in organisational matters (booking a room and sending out invitations)
- With the chairs of the other three networks meet with the vice-chancellor and chair of the equality and diversity committee twice a year to raise key issues.
- Decide with network members how the support group (separate from the business group) is to be organised.
- The first chair will with the group consider this draft constitution as the basis on which the network meets.
- Represent the network at the equality and diversity committee
- Open to all BME employees of the [institution].
- The lead person on BME issues from the equality and diversity unit.
Committees and working groups
- The chair may convene a committee to support her/him in their role.
- Working groups may be set up to work on specific projects.
Meetings and proceedings of the network
- The network will meet at least twice a year.
- Meeting dates to be arranged by the chair meeting (arrangements to be supported by the equality and diversity unit).
- Support group meetings to be arranged by those attending (room booking by equality and diversity unit if required).