Join ECU’s Athena SWAN Charter
Transform gender equality in your institution by becoming a member of ECU's Athena SWAN Charter
A growing number of universities, departments and research institutes have already become members of ECU’s Athena SWAN Charter. Join now to show your institution’s commitment to advancing women’s careers in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) and arts, humanities, social sciences, business and law (AHSSBL) employment.
New members are expected to apply for an institutional Bronze award within three years of joining the charter. Your institution needs to be a charter member to apply for an Athena SWAN award.
Benefits of joining ECU’s Athena SWAN Charter
Membership of Athena SWAN has a proven impact as a catalyst for change, leading to organisational and cultural transformation that makes a real difference for women and enables all staff to achieve their maximum potential. The framework allows you to identify areas for positive action, as well as recognise and share good practice.
Being part of an internationally-recognised gender equality initiative can help your institution meet equality legislation requirements, as well as the requirements and expectations of some funders and research councils and align with policy priorities.
Promoting inclusive working practices through the Athena SWAN Charter can increase your retention of valued academics and professional and support staff, especially women. Being part of the charter can also illustrate your commitment to an equitable working environment to potential staff.
Athena SWAN Charter members are able to:
- submit for institutional and department level Athena SWAN awards
- access resources, publications and benchmarking data to prepare award submissions
- attend workshops on submitting for an award and working towards the next level
- become part of a national and regional peer support and practice-sharing network of members
- access advice and support from the ECU Equality Charter’s team
- join the Athena SWAN email forum
- use Athena SWAN logos to highlight your commitment to gender equality on institutional websites, materials and job adverts