How to submit in the April 2018 round
How to submit your Athena SWAN application
Please note that that the deadline for sending us the electronic version of any submission for the April 2018 round is 5pm on Friday 18 May 2018. Submissions should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that the deadline has been extended (previously the last working day of April).
Only applications from institutions and departments that have notified the Equality Charters team of an intention to submit will be accepted. Please let us know as soon as possible if your institution/department is no longer planning to submit in this round.
Please note the letter of endorsement (section 1) must include the statement that the information presented in the application (including qualitative and quantitative data) is an honest, accurate and true representation of the institution/department, as specified on page 36 of the handbook (post-May 2015 process only). Please be aware that all applications from UK HEIs must be submitted under the post-May 2015 process.
In your submission email you must include:
- the submission document as one consolidated PDF file with the file name of the institution, department (if applicable) and level of award being applied for
- whether hard copies will follow (see below)
- whether additional words have been granted (see below)
- the name, email address and phone number of the application contact (to match those on the front page of the application)
- for a departmental submission, the name, email address and phone number of the contact to whom we should send the invoice for the administrative fee (£500), and a P.O. number if you require this
- in the email subject please enter the name of institution and department (where applicable)
- For Research Institutes and Republic of Ireland applications only
- whether the submission is being made under the original or expanded/post-May 2015 Athena SWAN process
Once received, submissions will be acknowledged by us by email. Due to the volume of submissions we receive, this may not be until after the passing of the deadline. If you do not receive an acknowledgment that we have received your submission within five working days of the deadline please telephone us on 020 7438 1010.
Although the Equality Charters team are happy to field questions at any time, be aware that the team is extremely busy in the days running up to and following the deadline and cannot guarantee to respond quickly to queries made.
All submissions are treated as confidential by Athena SWAN and the judging panels. The fee for a departmental submission will need to be paid before the outcome will be released.
Submissions will be printed in black and white for panellists. If your submission needs to be considered in colour, submitting departments and institutions should email the PDF file by the deadline and also send in eight colour copies by post. Colour copies must be received by 25th May. For ease of postage, we prefer that these are double-side printed and stapled, rather than (ring)bound. Please use the following postal address:
Athena SWAN Team
3 Albert Embankment
LONDON SE1 7SP
Word limits for submissions
The word count for each section must be clearly indicated in the submission document. If a submission is found to be over the word limit applicants will not have the opportunity to edit their application. Any application deemed by the review panel to have exceeded the word allowance will not be assessed.
Please view our word count guidance for further information.
Applicants who have been awarded additional words must clearly and prominently state the reason for these being awarded and include the email from the Equality Charters team in which these were confirmed as part of the submission. The statement should cover how many have been permitted and where they have been used. Medical schools/departments are automatically eligible to receive these additional words, but must still request them from the Equality Charters team.
We look forward to receiving your applications.