This page contains all resources that will need for assessing applications.
All applications and related feedback will be shared via Dropbox at least three weeks prior to the panel. Please note you will have to log into a personal or work Dropbox account to access the documents.
Before undertaking any assessment please ensure you have read the Equality Charter Panellist role guidance which contains:
- Guidance on what you need to do in your role as a panellist
- Travel, expenses and location information
- Example Athena SWAN feedback form
Observer guidance containing guidance on what you need to do in your role as an observer and travel, expenses and location information.
- Observers from the UK please ensure you have read our observers guidance.
- Observers from the Republic of Ireland please ensure you have read our observers guidance – Ireland.
- Equality Charter Panellist role guidance. We recommend you read this first.
- Observers guidance
- Observers guidance – for observers from the Republic of Ireland
- For UK institutional and departmental awards Athena SWAN Charter awards handbook, May 2015 (PDF) Athena SWAN Charter awards handbook, May 2015 (Word doc)
- For Research Institute awards Advance HE’s Athena SWAN application handbook: Research institutes, July 2016 (PDF) Advance HE‘s Athena SWAN application handbook: Research institutes, July 2016 (Word doc)
- For pre-May/ original awards (Ireland only) Athena SWAN handbook pre-May 2015
- Feedback form template(s) – please note completed feedback forms (hard or electronic format) will be collected after each application has been assessed
- Post-May/ expanded
- Pre-May/ original
- Expense claim forms
- Additional specific guidance required for the submissions you have been assigned
Other useful information
- Panellist training video
- Tips from experienced panellists
- Equality Charters guide to processes (PDF)
- Athena SWAN FAQs
- REC FAQs
Panellists/ observers and GDPR
- All panellists and observers sign legally binding non-disclosure agreements prior to the panel. This means that panellists/ observers are not permitted to use information provided to you for any purpose beyond reviewing the applications for panel recommendations, nor are panellists/ observers permitted to disclose information to anyone outside the panel. This applies to information within the submissions; feedback from previous submissions; and any additional information you request from applicants. This applies indefinitely.
- The exceptions are: Any information which is, or in future, comes into the public domain but not by breach of your confidentiality obligations; Any information that was already known to you, so long as this was not subject to any obligation of confidentiality before being disclosed to you by us; Anonymised practice to advance equality, which you may discuss without identifying any institution, department, or individual.
- Current registered panellists will be required to sign an addendum to the NDA prior to the panel to ensure GDPR compliance.
- The Equality Charters team no longer send emails to remind panellists/ observers to delete/ destroy panel materials, this must be done as per the legally binding NDA.
- We will recover hard copies of submissions after each discussion, and panellists/ observers must also immediately delete all electronic copies of any documentation they hold relating to the panel. Panellists/ observers must irretrievably delete all electronic copies held; or securely destroy* any hard copies you hold of such documentation.
* ”securely destroyed” means that you will destroy the hard copies by shredding in order that the text is no longer legible.