July 2020 submissions
How to submit your Race Equality Charter application
Please note that the deadline for sending us the electronic version of submissions for the July 2020 round is 5.00 pm, Thursday 23rd July 2020. Submissions should be sent by email to email@example.com.
Only applications from institutions that notified the Equality Charters team of an intention to submit ahead of 5.00 pm, Thursday 20 May 2020 will be accepted. Please let us know as soon as possible if your institution wishes to withdraw any intentions to submit we have received.
Please note the letter of endorsement (section 1) must include the statement that the information presented in the application (including qualitative and quantitative data) is an honest, accurate and true representation of the institution.
In your submission email you must include:
- the submission document (incorporating action plan) as one consolidated PDF file with the name of the institution and the level of award being applied for
- whether additional words have been granted (see below)
- the name, email address and phone number of the application contact (to match those on the front of the application)
Once received, submissions will be acknowledged by us by email, however this may not be until after the passing of the deadline. If you do not receive an acknowledgement that we have received your submission within five working days of the deadline please telephone us on 020 7438 1010.
Although Equality Charters staff are happy to field questions at any time, be aware that the team is extremely busy in the days running up to the deadline and cannot guarantee to respond to queries made at late notice.
All submissions are treated as confidential by the Race Equality Charter judging panels.
We no longer request or accept hard copies of applications. We recommend all figures can be read without colour as panellists may choose to print in black and white.
Word limits for submissions
Applicants are advised that submissions may not be assessed if they are over the word limit.
The word count for each section must be clearly indicated after each section of the submission document with the overall word count stated on the front of the application. If we cannot determine the number of words easily, the application may not be assessed.
If the presentation of the word count information in the application is unclear (for example, large blocks of prose incorporated into a table that would make sense without the context of the table and not counted in the published word counts) and it is subsequently found to be over the word limit in any section, the application may not be assessed.
- Graph and table titles, legends and action plan links/points are exempt from the word count.
- Quotes included from your survey are also exempt from the word count as long as each one is no longer than 50 words. Institutions should be discerning in the number of quotes used and it is not anticipated that institutions will use more than four or five quotes in relevant sections.
Note: Please avoid using fonts smaller than 12 pts. You will not be penalised for the length of your document if it meets the word count requirements.
Applicants who have been awarded additional words must clearly and prominently state the reason for these being awarded and include the email from the Equality Charters team in which these were confirmed as part of their application. The statement should cover how many have been permitted and where they have been used.