Towards a trans-positive culture
Keywords: Enabling careers advisers, gender identity
Region: Yorkshire and the Humber region
The project aimed to create a more accessible, welcoming, supportive and inclusive learning environment and experience that better meets the needs of the trans community by:
- increasing understanding of the trans community’s perception and experience of FE and in particular Bradford College
- raising awareness of issues faced by the trans community, particularly in relation to entering or returning to education
- supporting staff to understand their responsibilities and their role in relation to gender identity equality
- improving outcomes for trans students
- enabling trans students to maximise their success through accessing appropriate guidance and support both within college and externally
- enabling staff to effectively and constructively challenge transphobia and other discrimination
The project has placed support for trans people firmly on the agenda within college. The research paper has given a clear set of recommendations.
Taking forward these recommendations will be debated and driven forward through the equality committee.
The project also produced a guidance document which has been shared with staff and will be sent to all new staff as part of their induction process.
- Towards a Trans-positive Culture
- Bradford College Awarded Grant to Make Lasting Impact for Learners through Equality & Diversity Projects
Main contact: Graham Bailey: email@example.com