Reading Borough Council
Valuable or a drain: perceptions of employment for 50+
Keywords: Age, Careers, Employment, Enabling careers advisers
Region: South East region
The project aimed to dispel the myths and positively promote employment for those aged 50 and over.
The project looked to:
- increase the employment outcomes of those aged 50+ locally
- change attitudes and perceptions of employers, advisers and those aged 50, towards 50+ employment in the partnership
- develop a wider understanding of 50+ employment issues via dissemination for a range of practitioners
The project resulted in the following outcomes:
- 18 face to face interviews
- 9 electronic surveys were completed companies
- 52 individuals who were unemployed or who had recently gained employment aged 50+ completed a questionnaire electronically or in hard copy
- Four 50+ unemployed individual’s undertook work experience placements with Reading and Bracknell Forest council’s.
- Case studies were gathered and capitalised upon when opportunities arose.
- A webinar is being produced to share the project findings, point advisors to helpful resources, examine the case studies and will include direct feedback from participants in the project.
Main contact: Julie Light: email@example.com