Reasonable adjustments and inclusive education environments
Under the Equality Act 2010, Higher Education Institutions have a duty to make anticipatory, and reasonable adjustments to educational environments to ensure that all students can access them.
Advance HE (previously ECU), have collected a number of case studies from institutions who are taking steps to make anticipatory adjustments, or finding new ways to make reasonable adjustments to ensure accessibility.
- Bournemouth University – mental health awareness events
- Glasgow Clyde College – inclusion using assistive technologies
- Imperial College London – synthetic chemistry ‘by proxy’
- University of Brighton – inclusive practice toolkit
- University of Derby – transition events for disabled students
- University of Leeds – ‘being inclusive in…’ guides
- University of Plymouth – the ‘inclusive student journey’
- University of Southampton – enhancing lecture recordings
- University of York – expanding provision of hearing loops