Equalitylink January 2017
Welcome January 2017
Equalitylink is Equality Challenge Unit’s (ECU’s) monthly round-up of equality and diversity news, resources and our work with the sector.
ECU in the news
- ‘Zero’ black academics employed by UK universities for top management roles, figures reveal
- British universities employ no black academics in top roles, figures show
- The sorry state of ‘equality’ in UK universities
- Colleges to lose funds over gender inequality
- UCAS published 2016 data for individual universities on Wednesday 25 January 2017. Read more on UCAS’ website
- HEPI annual lecture given by Martha Kanter. Read the lecture now
- HESA have published the first data release from 2015/16: staff records and students records
- HEFCE report on the implementation of the Prevent Duty 2015/16
- Bid for up to £50,000 from HEFCE for safeguarding projects, deadline Thursday 2 February 2017
Thanks from ECU’s Athena SWAN Charter team
The Athena SWAN Charter team kicked off with their first new panel of this round on Wednesday 4 January, and the panels will continue well into April. There will be 41 panels in total with 203 panellists assessing 166 applications.
Thank you to all applicants for your engagement with the Athena SWAN Charter and to all panellists for volunteering your time.
Higher Education and Research Bill
Can the Higher Education and Research Bill advance equality and diversity? asks our CEO David Ruebain
ECU’s member portal
ECU’s college sector survey
ECU’s Scotland team will soon be conducting the first national survey of college staff in Scotland.
The survey will be online from Monday 6 February to Tuesday 28 February and the link will be sent out to all equality and diversity and HR staff in colleges by Wednesday 1 February.
For more information contact Stephanie Millar.
Transnational education roundtables
ECU is collaborating with HEGlobal and the HEI Staff Working Abroad group on a project that gives consideration to the human elements of transnational education (TNE) As part of this project we have organised a number of roundtables.
UKRSA survey in association with Vitae
The UK Research Staff Association (UKRSA), in association with Vitae, is conducting a study investigating the experiences of researchers taking maternity, paternity, adoption and/or parental leave. They are particularly interested in the experiences of those on fixed term contracts.
Senior Policy Adviser vacancy at ECU
We have an exciting vacancy for a Senior Policy Adviser focusing on disability and age. The deadline for applications is Monday 6 February 2017 at 12 noon.
New publications from ECU
- Equality in higher education: statistical report 2016
- Equality handbooks for governors
- Trans staff and students in HE and colleges: improving experiences
Diversity festival at the University of Chester
The University of Chester has organised a diversity festival from Monday 27 February to Friday 10 March 2017. ECU’s Senior Policy Adviser, Gemma Tracey, will be speaking on addressing the BME attainment gap on Tuesday 28 February. Full details are available online from the University of Chester.
Race Equality Charter launch at Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool John Moores University has organised a Race Equality Charter launch event entitled ‘Keeping Race Equality on the Agenda’. The event is on Wednesday 22 March 2017 at the Holiday Inn in Liverpool city centre. Register to attend now.
Leadership Foundation for Higher Education: Diversifying leadership programme
The Leadership Foundation for Higher Education is running two further cohorts of their Diversifying leadership programme in 2017 . It is designed to support early career academics and professional services staff from black and minority ethnic backgrounds who are about to take their first steps into a leadership role.
- Diversifying leadership 4: begins Thursday 2 February, Birmingham
- Diversifying leadership 5: begins Thursday 6 April, London
- Using the Race Equality Charter to help implement transformational change on Tuesday 21 February 2017 at University College London
- The next Scottish Race Equality Network (SREN) meeting is taking place at the University of the West of Scotland (Paisley campus) on Thursday 2 February 2017. For more information contact Anne Ireson or register to attend now.
Coalition for Racial Equality and Rights
The Coalition for Racial Equality and Rights is holding a series of capacity building sessions on evaluating anti-prejudice projects as part of a wider programme of work for the Equality and Human Rights Commision. The sessions take place on Thursday 16 February 2017 in Glasgow, Tuesday 21 February 2017 in London and Wednesday 22 February 2017 in Cardiff. Book to attend now.