Gender equality charter mark trial participants celebrate their achievement
Universities recognised for advancing gender equality in the arts, humanities and social sciences.
Gender equality charter mark trial winners have gathered to celebrate their achievement at an event held at the British Academy (8 December 2014).
Dr Robin Jackson, Chief Executive and Secretary of the British Academy, delivered a keynote speech on the importance of an equality charter for arts, humanities and social sciences and why gender equality is a priority for the sector.
Five universities and 17 individual departments received a Bronze award for their progress in advancing gender equality in arts, humanities and social science careers in higher education.
The awards were presented by Professor Neva Haites OBE, Vice Principal for Development, University of Aberdeen and Equality Challenge Unit board member.
Following this successful trial, it has been announced that ECU’s Athena SWAN charter and gender equality charter mark will be brought together in April 2015. ECU’s Athena SWAN charter will be expanding next year to include arts, humanities, social science, business and law departments alongside the current science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine disciplines.
The full list of gender equality charter mark trial winners was announced in September 2014:
- Aberystwyth University
- SOAS, University of London
- University of Chester
- University of Essex
- University of Winchester
- Cardiff University – School of European Languages, Translation and Politics
- Cardiff University – Cardiff Business School
- Durham University – Department of Geography
- Durham University – Anthropology Department
- Keele University – School of Humanities
- King’s College London – Department of Social Science, Health and Medicine
- Queen Mary, University of London – School of Politics and International Relations
- University College London – Department of Greek and Latin
- University of Edinburgh – Institute for Sport, Physical Education and Health Sciences
- University of Edinburgh – School of Divinity
- University of Exeter – Classics and Ancient History Department
- University of Glasgow – College of Social Sciences, School of Law
- University of Leicester – School of Museum Studies
- University of Sheffield – Department of Archaeology
- University of Sussex – The School of Law, Politics, and Sociology
- University of Warwick – Warwick Business School
- University of York – Department of Education