Ellen Pugh’s profile
Ellen Pugh is the Programme Manager (Policy) at ECU. She has many years of experience working on equality issues especially related to gender and gender identity. Ellen works part-time on Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Provides the strategic and operational lead on ECU’s gender and gender identity initiatives
- Establishment of the gender equality charter mark
- Represents ECU on the Concordat executive and strategy group, the Every researcher counts project and is an international advisory group member of the EU funded project GENOVATE
- Has worked with the further and higher education sector, primarily on equality issues for over ten years.
- Led ECU’s work on equality in the Research Excellence Framework 2014 and has been a member of the UK funding bodies Equality and Diversity Advisory Panel and an observer on the Equality and Diversity Advisory Group.
- Has commissioned research or developed guidance on gender in higher education leadership, student pregnancy, maternity and paternity, pay equality, trans staff and students, male student experience and the implications of the Equality Act for the higher education sector.
- Has experience of working to promote disability equality and observance of international human rights law.
- Is an experienced trainer and has worked on a consultancy basis for a number of public sector organisations in both further and higher education.
- Was involved in the development of the statutory codes of practice and guidance on the Equality Act 2010 and Part 4 of the Disability Discrimination Act.
- Policy Director (covering further and higher education), Skill: National Bureau for Students with Disabilities (now part of disability rights UK)
- Project Officer, National Institute of Adult Continuing Education delivering nationwide project for colleges funded by the Learning and Skills Council now the Skills Funding Agency.
- London School of Economics & Political Science, Equalities Development and Senior Projects Officer
- Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative, London Liaison Officer
- Voluntary Service Overseas placement in South Africa. Department for International Development funded scholarship
- Educational background:
- MSc Development Management, London School of Economics and Political Science
- BA hons, International Relations with Development Studies, University of Sussex.