Conducting interviews and focus groups
This workshop offers practical guidance on conducting interviews and focus groups.
This workshop is aimed at practitioners who will be undertaking equality research using interviews and/or focus groups.
On the day
At the end of the session, participants should have a clear understanding of:
- the principles of research design
- advantages and disadvantages of qualitative data
- how many interviews/focus groups one should undertake
- how to select participants and write a discussion guide
- different types of interview questions and moderating styles
- how to structure discussion
- principles of analysis and reporting.
Participants will also learn about research issues such as ethics, validity, transferability, researcher reflexivity and positionality.
This session is between 2 and 2.5 hours, including breaks, depending on requirements.
The maximum number of participants for this session is 25.